Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) doesn't just affect children. If you're an adult, your ability to concentrate or succeed at work could be related to the disorder. Fortunately, the health care practitioners at Coastal Integrative Medicine in Jupiter, and Stuart, FL, Dr. Lisa Rankin and Dr. Melissa Singer, can help you determine if ADHD or another disorder is responsible for your difficulties.
How ADHD can affect your life
Difficulty sitting still isn't the only symptom of ADHD. In fact, you might have a form of the disorder that doesn't involve hyperactivity, such as inattentive ADHD. Symptoms of ADHD can often be subtle and might not seem to be related to the disorder at first glance, which can cause delays in diagnosis.
ADHD can cause many issues, including:
- Trouble with organization and time management
- Poor memory
- Inability to follow or remember directions and instructions
- Difficulty meeting deadlines
- Poor self-esteem
- Perpetual lateness
- Lack of motivation
- Trouble making good decisions
These symptoms can make it difficult to succeed or advance in your career and may cause you to feel bored or burnt out at work. ADHD may also affect your relationships with friends, family members, romantic partners or co-workers, and may play a role in drug use or risky behaviors.
Treatment for adults who have ADHD
Whether you were diagnosed with ADHD as a child or just recently realized that you may have the disorder, help is available. During your visit to the Jupiter, and Stuart, FL, integrative medicine offices, your doctor may suggest testing to confirm the diagnosis. If you're diagnosed with ADHD, you may benefit from:
- Psychological counseling to improve self-confidence and self-esteem, manage impulsive behavior, and improve your problem-solving abilities
- Job coaching to help you master time management and improve skills needed for your job
- Stress management techniques to relieve stress and anxiety
- Medication to keep your symptoms under control (Medication isn't automatically prescribed. In fact, therapy and other treatments and strategies may be enough to help you manage the disorder.)
- Family or marriage counseling to help you improve your relationships
Would you like to find out if ADHD could be the cause of your issues? Call (772) 232-7126 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Rankin and Dr. Singer at Coastal Integrative Medicine in Jupiter, and Stuart, FL.